Sunday, July 22, 2007

Beethoven Violin Concerto

This Beethoven Violin Concerto version is arguably the best. It has recently been reissued as a bargain version (only HKD60 even in HMV). Schneiderhan is not a very all around violinist. His reportoire is restricted to Austrian/German classical and early romantic period. But his Beethoven has been a classic to many critics. To me, his interpretation is elegant and poised. Perhaps it suits Beethoven violin concerto, which I consider is a very feminine piece (compared with Sibelius, for example). The Mozart No.5 is a bonus and he played it really well. I think this CD is a bargain. For those who hasn't owned one in your collection, please get hold of a copy. You will not regret it.

You may ask which version I like the most. It's Heifitz!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems that I have Schneiderhan's Beethoven violin concerto, with Furtwangler.

But I like Kreisler...

Sunday, July 22, 2007 6:41:00 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

Oh, I did not know there is a version of Schneiderhan with Furtwangler.

Kreisler is good, but the recording is a bit too old - I can only stand old recordings for small pieces...

Monday, July 23, 2007 10:53:00 AM  
Blogger kunolam said...

Just something off-track: If you have the recording with Mullova or Zehetmair (both on Philips), how would you like them?

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 9:15:00 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

I have neither of them. Are they good? Who are the conductors for these two versions?

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 9:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home