Saturday, February 04, 2006

Mahler - Bertini's Box Set


I bought this box set of Mahler Symphonies from Pro-Sound this afternoon. It costs only HKD198. There are 11 CDs in this set - each CD costs HKD18.-! HMV also has this box set but they are selling it at HKD350!

I listened to No.2 first and it seems that Bertini played Mahler in a reserved way. Contrary to Bernstein, who played Mahler with intensive emotion, Bertini was very much a rationalist. He focused on Mahler's elegance. This was obvious in the first movement of No.2. I guess it is a matter of taste - some like it more emotional, some like it more elegant and rational. For me, I tend to like the more emotional versions, but I always respect those conductors who think otherwise. In any case, this set is a super value version given the sound quality and the price.

Got to listen to the other symphonies to tell more difference. I shall try No.9 next and then No.3 and 6. I heard that his No.7 is very unique.

2 Comments:

Blogger yuen luk luk said...

what a bargain price, I will buy it!

Sunday, February 05, 2006 9:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

andy,
er……不是新聞版……其實是廢話一則,在d疊……自我宣傳得太緊要,且又是劣作……真係汗顏

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 1:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home