Saturday, June 23, 2007

New CDs (again!!)

I went to Pro-Sound today and bought some new CDs (again!). Can't help buying the 60-CD set of Beethoven by BMG. Only HKD456 (after 5% off from the boss of Pro-Sound), i.e. less than HKD8 per CD. I haven't got David Zinman's Beethoven Symphonies, so that is a bonus for me. I don't like Zukerman, so the violin sonatas are not my cup of tea. But overall, this is a real bargain. If you haven't got many Beethoven, this is the ultimate set to buy. Who can resist the price?
This Milstein set is a real bargain. 4 CDs only cost HKD102.6! It included a CD of Vivaldi concertos, which is the first CD release. Although I have got the previous EMI set of "The Art of Nathan Milstein", this is complementary to that and Milstein fans should not miss it.
This Mahler 9 is the second one I got after last week's Berstein/BPO version. I have always like Klemperer's Mahler. This recording was made in 1967 and in my opinion better than the 1968 VPO recording. Mahler fans should not miss it.
Julia Fischer is a young violinist I find inspiring after Vengerov. Her Bach makes her stand among the 1st class violinist, even compared with Gil Shaham, Joshua Bell, et al. Now I buy every recording she makes. The Brahms is well presented with the lyrical lines "sung" throughout the piece. The Tchaikovsky is a catch-up for me. Critics have been divided towards this recording of Fischer. My verdict is: Tchaikovsky is not a piece that suits her temperament and character. The tempo she took was way too slow and there was not enough sparks in her playing. Anyway, I much more prefer her Mozart recordings last year.


Wang Jian has continued to mature. Although I don't like his Bach recording made some years ago, he has proved to be a much more refined and seasoned cellist since then. This recording shows that he could produce some very sweet sound with his bow hold improved. I hope he will continue to improve and mature in the years to come.

5 Comments:

Blogger yuen luk luk said...

wow, just wondering do you have time to listen?

do you think this DVD is good??
Zubin Metha - Mozart Requiem from Sarajevo?

Sunday, June 24, 2007 12:59:00 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

Metha is never my cup of tea, but his conducting technique is very good. I have never watched this DVD and therefore cannot comment.

Sunday, June 24, 2007 1:58:00 PM  
Blogger Dennis said...

I got the Beethoven set comfortably sitting in front of me. I've just touched upon some and will try to buy another set soon...

Meanwhile I'm unwrapping my earlier (one year ago purchase) set of piano works of Messiaen. I find myself too little time sitting in front of the CD deck!

Sunday, June 24, 2007 3:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because of your recommendation, I bought Julia Fischer's Bach just now in Pro Sound. Brilliant! Great playing. I am listening to the Chaconne.

thanks very much for your good recommendation!

Thursday, June 28, 2007 6:59:00 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

Yes, her Bach ranks amongst the best of the best, even compared with Szeryng and Grumiaux.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 7:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home