Tuesday, August 22, 2006

My favourite Mahler versions

I love Mahler's symphonies. All of them. But the ones below are the favourite of favourites. Whenever I don't know what to listen to, I would take one of these CDs out and enjoy the music.

Mahler 2 "Resurrection"
SIMON RATTLE, Arleen Auger, Janet Baker, City of Birmingham Symphony Choir & Orchestra
(rec. April 27, May 30 & June 1, 1986 in Watford Town Hall, London)


Kaplan's 2nd version on DG (Vienna Philharmonic) and Haitink's BPO (not Royal Concertgebouw) version on Philips are equally good.

Mahler 3
JASCHA HORENSTEIN, Norma Procter, Ambrosian Singers, Wandsworth School Boys' Choir, London Symphony Orchestra
(rec. July 27 & 29, 1970 in Fairfield Halls, Croyden)


Bernstein's version on CBS (NYPO) is equally good.

Mahler 5
JOHN BARBIROLLI, New Philharmonia Orchestra
(rec. July 16 to 19, 1969 in Watford Town Hall, London)


Mahler 6

MICHAEL TILSON THOMAS, San Francisco Symphony Orchestra
(rec. September 12 to 15, 2001 at concerts in Davies Symphony Hall, San Francisco)


Karajan's version on DG is equally good.

Mahler 9
HERBERT VON KARAJAN, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
(rec. September 30, 1982 at a concert in the Berlin Festival)

2 Comments:

Blogger Kajie said...

Oh...just curious...how many hours do you spend (everday/ weekweek) to classical music? do you really have time to listen to it?

p.s. My friend told me a bad news about Figaro, there are only expensive tickets left behind! I dun think it's worthy to buy the expensive tickets for this show, what do you think?

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 10:01:00 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

I listen to music whenever I feel like to. Not necessarily every day, because I might feel tired after work and don't want to listen to classical music. Instead, I would watch the TV. But when I read books about appreciation of music, I would most likely switch my CD player on.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 11:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home