Sunday, February 26, 2006

Julia Fischer - Bach's Sonata and Partita for Solo Violin

I never thought such a young violist could play Bach in such a matured way. My version at home was Milstein, Szegeti, Kremer (not very good), and Grumiaux. But Julia Fischer's Bach has won so much praise and I just wonder why. Therefore I bought it. It was a pricy double SACD, which is the only available version. Fortunately, I don't have to buy it from Shun Cheong, which is selling it at over HKD260 (after discount). I got it from Amazon.co.uk, and it was only HKD236 (incl shipping).

I was surprised. It doesn't sound like she is young at all. According to her, she played Bach every day. And she has been studying Bach since she was a little girl. No wonder she has attended to the details of it. And the speed she took was relatively slow, esp for the Preludes and Sarabande. Her technique was impeccable, but it all sounded so natural. I once listened to Heifitz and I didn't quite like it. It was sounded not like Bach. Julia surely captured the elegance and warmth of one of Bach's most intelligent and intellectual works.

If you like Bach's Unaccompanied Sonata and Partita for Solo Violin, buy this. You won't regret. The recording quality was superb, too!