Friday, February 17, 2006

HKPO's Resurrection


I attended the Mahler No.2 by Edo de Waart and the HKPO last night. I didn't have much expectation. I attended the concert because any Mahler Symphony played in Hong Kong is an event for me. Edo de Waart is certainly not my favourite conductor. His conducting style is too feminine. Indeed, I heard a feminine Mahler 2. The opening of the symphony was supposed to be a conflict, but de Waart played it with much reservation. The sound of the violins (particularly the first violin) were weak. May be it is because of the seat that I was in (rear stall again).

The way HKPO played it made the first movement relatively boring. The speed de Waart took for the second movement was faster than usual, even faster than Rattle. That's fine with me. But the problem is he slowed it down towards the end of it. This gave the feeling that it dragged on a little bit.

The third movement was OK, but the strings were just too weak. The alto for the forth movement sang it with passion and everybody was hushed by her pure voice.

The final movement was the best part in the whole concert. And I would probably attribute it to Mahler rather than the conductor or the orchestra. The music was impactful. What interests me was that the CBSO choir was sitting down when singing for the first half of the final movement. They only stood when it reached the final part of the final movement. That's quite unusual. Their singing was superb. I look forward to attending their concert tonight.

All in all, the Mahler 2 by HKPO and Edo de Waart was just mediocre. Having said that, the audience seemed to be quite impressed by it and some people were even giving their standing ovasions for the orchestra. For me, I am glad that people love Mahler's music - his time has surely come!

6 Comments:

Blogger tungpo said...

Did you watch the DVD on Abbado's Mahler No. 2 at Lucerne Festival? The choir was also sitting down when singing.

Friday, February 17, 2006 11:32:00 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

Really? I watched Berstein and Haitink's versions, and they were standing.

Friday, February 17, 2006 11:42:00 AM  
Blogger tungpo said...

Watched Abbado's DVD again, the Choir stood up in the final part. I think HKPO adopted this arrangement.

Saturday, February 18, 2006 1:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the concerts with the CBSO chorus. I am a member and we enjoyed singing in Hong Kong and hope to return in the future.

Incidentally, Mahler's own instructions are for the chorus to sit for the opening and to stand when we did. It makes singing so quietly very difficult which is why not everyone does it. Although since we started to perform this piece from memory it has become very fashionable to do so.

Saturday, February 25, 2006 9:12:00 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

Thanks for leaving a message in my blog. I have learnt something new about the arrangement after you told me about Mahler's own instruction regarding the sitting and standing timing.

Hope to see CBSC in HK very soon.

Sunday, February 26, 2006 12:33:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mshler felt strongly that the chorus should be seated when it sang the first notes "to avoid an unbearable disturbance...the mysterious sound of the human voices...should come as a surprise."

Sunday, February 26, 2006 5:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home