Monday, November 14, 2005

Berlin Philharmonic

I went to the first concert of the Berlin Phil last night. It was a full house. When the orchestra started playing, I was thrilled by the strings - they were so together! And the brass was so bright! One has to listen to them live in order to appreciate what people meant by first-class! Listening to CDs is nothing near the live experience.

Rattle's conducting was very unique - he moved a lot when liked to, but he moved so little (nearly frozen in some places) when he did not feel the need. But the control of the orchestra was so good - they played with maximum attention to him.

The funeral march in the second movement of the Eroica is quite an experience. It was so moving and that's why one would not know that Rattle took a longer than usual time to finish the symphony - nearly 60 minutes.

I bought the HKD800 ticket (10% off) and therefore have to sit next to the choir seats. But it also meant that I got the chance to see Rattle's face when he conducted. I would say it was well worth it, but I still think HKD2,500 is far too expensive.

A very high quality and enjoyable concert. Looking forward to attending the second night!

3 Comments:

Blogger kunolam said...

Ha, I was sitting outside for the live relay, which, except some noises and the so-so audio transmission (though a PC system!) to listen to a very self-motivated orchestra under a near-full moon and light breeze is also an enjoyment. A sitting pad and house programme (mini one) is also provided!

Monday, November 14, 2005 9:58:00 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

Kuno, haven't heard from you a long time. I am sure the arrangement outside was also very good. But since I bought the ticket, I have to say it is nowhere near the enjoyment I had inside!

Monday, November 14, 2005 10:31:00 AM  
Blogger San Wen Ji said...

我也在外邊聽,感覺很好。

Monday, November 14, 2005 11:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home