Friday, October 21, 2005

Master Degree

Many people have tried to talk me into doing a second degree, be it an MBA, Master in Finance, etc. I am yet to be convinced. My reasons (very personal) are as follows:

i) I don't see the need, esp in my career development

ii) I don't have the money (opportunity cost) and time to do a full-time. And I don't think a part-time one is useful.

iii) I don't have the money to go overseas, and I don't like the local ones because of the quality of my classmates. Forgive me for saying this, local classmates tend to be of lower quality because most of them just want to get the degree, and if I really want to do the degree, I want to learn something - I would be very serious. And I would become very frustrated if my classmates do not give their 110% to the course assignments.

iv) I already have some knowledge of different industries through meeting the owners of many companies. The value added of doing an MBA, namely, knowing more people from different industries and acquire more overview knowledge from them, diminished.

Any thoughts?

8 Comments:

Blogger San Wen Ji said...

"And I would become very frustrated if my classmates are not give their 110% to the course assignments."

I think as yours.

Friday, October 21, 2005 8:04:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth Tam said...

I am the kind of lower quality student. An MBA won't be any value adding to my job, both in terms of knowledge and qualification (I have M Phil and CFA and CFP, which is enough). I do it because I want to do the DBA afterwards. I just want to be called "doctor".

Saturday, October 22, 2005 10:58:00 PM  
Blogger 梁巔巔 said...

除?實用, 讀?科要係自己鍾意都係非常重要?.

Monday, October 24, 2005 2:31:00 AM  
Blogger yuen luk luk said...

If you don't see the need to pursue the second degree then I think there really is no need at the moment!

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 12:36:00 AM  
Blogger Krispy said...

Hi, Andy. Regarding your reply, "Salo" is not so disguisting for me... as people do as much ugly things everyday in different ways.

Hey, you like 12 Angry Men?
someone had suggested me to watch it 2 years ago. He gave me the DVD and I love this movie as well (both the "minimalistic" settings & the crew and the questions arised)

Friday, October 28, 2005 7:39:00 PM  
Blogger Krispy said...

I'm recently thinking to do a postgraduate (either Master or PhD) to gain the Chartered status in my field.

I aim to get a higher prestige and status, in general, and higher paid, specifically.

I'm 22, a final year student studying psychology and sociology (a joint).

Friday, October 28, 2005 7:57:00 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

Kristine

Salo is poetic, but I don't appreciate it because I think making a movie out of this story has no insight whatsoever for me.

Yes I like 12 Angry Men. All the actors are superb.

Monday, October 31, 2005 8:41:00 AM  
Blogger Kajie said...

true, it's kinda...frustrating if your classmates dont commit/ contribute much and i wonder the "quality" of local students, pardon me to say so. Even I did silly thing to study a local Master degree too...a game, i mean a compulsory game requested by our society (even i did serious learning there)!

Thursday, August 03, 2006 8:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home