Thursday, November 08, 2007

Pires's Concert in Hong Kong

What a concert! Pires played all the pieces in the 1st half consecutively and specifically asked the audience not to applaud in between pieces. I have never experienced this, but the effect was quite good - the audience was so focused and I have to say, the audience behaved quite well this evening. Perhaps it was because it was not a social event for businessmen and government officials. Only those who love music were present, and I am sure all were satisfied.

The concert started with three Argentinian Dances by Ginastera. I have never heard of this composer, but Pires did play the second of these dances as an encore in the Macau Concert. I think they are good warm up pieces. The Scarlatti that followed was the highlight of the evening. I like it!! And I like the way Pires played it. It was so transcendent. I was captured by the music - so beautifully presented!

Schubert was never cup of tea - I always think his songs are better than all the other pieces, including piano music. But I do like the Impromptu Op.142 No.2 in the beginning of second half.

The Beethoven was quite heavy for Pires. She put a lot of emotion into it and I think she was not entirely satisfied with what she played at the end of it. I do think Beethoven sonatas might not be the most suitable reportoire for her. I was hoping that she could play a Mozart Sonata, because one can hardly find a good pianist for Mozart nowadays. Or some Chopin - I would love to listen to her live Nocturnes!

After the concert, it felt like that I have enjoyed a musical feast. I was very satisfied. Because of this feeling, I think I have made the right choice of buying the most expensive ticket for this concert, which is quite rare, because I normally sit at the back row in the balcony!

5 Comments:

Blogger Dennis said...

If you did your normal booking yesterday, I would have met you. :-) I enjoyed the evening as much as you did, and somehow the experience was magical. Colourful and poetic.

Friday, November 09, 2007 11:19:00 AM  
Blogger yuen luk luk said...

I enjoyed it too and thanks for recommending the concert here otherwise I would definitely miss it.

I liked the first part of the concert more....have the same thoughts like you....will write something in my blog when I have time.

Saturday, November 10, 2007 12:29:00 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

Dennis - I was thinking that $420 is not too high a price to pay for Pires, because I have never seen her concert and probably she will never come to Hong Kong again.

Yuen Yuen - Oh, glad that you enjoyed it. Where were you sitting?

Saturday, November 10, 2007 4:40:00 PM  
Blogger yuen luk luk said...

I was sitting in the front 3rd roll on the left. I could see Pires playing at her back.

Sunday, November 11, 2007 6:00:00 PM  
Blogger yuen luk luk said...

aiya....typo...3rd row!!!!

Sunday, November 11, 2007 6:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home