Thursday, January 04, 2007

A Gala Evening with Carreras

Attended the concert last night. I am not a fan of Carreras, but since I haven't been to any concert of his, I decided to go. It was an average concert. Carreras only sang about 10 songs. There was a "soprano" (Giorgia Fumanti) singing in between - every two songs of Carreras would come this soprano. And I have to say, she was crap! She is not a soprano in a normal sense. She spoiled the whole concert, because she does not know how to sing properly. She has not got the breath to last for a normal phrase and had to breathe in between! The worst song she sang was Ave Maria of Gounod. Can't believe this was performed in a concert charging $1,800!

Carreras was old (he turned 60 already), perhaps too old to sing arias that are too demanding. Of course, he maintained his charm, but I'd rather listen to Bryn Terfel, because there is nothing new in his performance. Of course, the audience did not care, as long as it was Carreras.

I went away with a sense of unsatisfaction, and I was thinking, how would the others rate this concert, particularly for those who were only invited by Bank of China as business guests and only heard about Carreras as "one of the top three tenors"?

I wonder.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I attended last night concert, i bought the ticket is just because he is one of the 3 tenors...haha, u are so right. Too bad. In fact, I am not quite familiar with the opera music, as I am quite new to classical music.

I would like to feel the live orchestra atmosphere. I started listening classical just for 3 months. ( I used to listen rock, pop music , but I am open to all music and did not refuse any kind of music. I thought I sooner or later will love classic, but it just comes earlier than I expected ) Just listening cd and watch the dvd is not enough, so I start to listen to the live concert. Unbelieveably, the first one i attended is the Langlang Recital ( in Taiwan, last Oct ), then Vienna Boy Choir, AIG Free lunch concert, HKPO SUS, HKPO New Year, and last night's Carrares. ( Last night concert is quite OK to me as I cannot compare. Hope to listen Terfel later. Maybe it just like my feeling of the Langlang recital, i thought it was good, but after I watched Horowitz's DVD, i totally change my mind !!)

Too many cd to listen, too many dvd to watch and too many books to read....

I do not have a blog but i love to have one, at least to share my feeling of music with other....

So many wants to share ( the HK and TW music shop, the Music magazine of TW, China, and HK ........

WK

Friday, January 05, 2007 1:30:00 AM  
Blogger vicky said...

Somebody wanted to give me free ticket but i didn't want because i knew his singing don't meet my expectation.

Friday, January 05, 2007 10:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out of three "top" tenors, I like Carreras more than the other two. But they are all old now. Domingo goes to conduct orchestra, which I probably dare not to listen, haha.

Friday, January 05, 2007 3:32:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth Tam said...

I tried to get tickets end of last year but didn't wait long enough for someone to pick up the phone. I thought probably the tickets were sold out.

I used to like the 3 tenors but my taste changes with age. Now I want someone more sincere.

Friday, January 05, 2007 8:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home