Saturday, September 09, 2006

Concert: Shostakovich Cello Concerto No.1


Went to HK Sinfonietta's concert yesterday. I bought the ticket mainly for the cello concerto, because it is one of favourite cello concertos. The soloist was Pieter Wispelwey. He is a Dutch cellist at the age of 44. I never heard of him, but he has recorded quite a number of CDs for Channel Classics. He played the piece quite vibrantly, and HK Sinfonietta, under the baton of Daniel Raiskin, was full of sparks. The horn, which has an important part in the cello concerto, was less than satisfactory. I think it has to be improved. Wispelwey was techincally quite capable, but I would like him to be more reflective, especially in the slow movement. His encore was, I believe, from Bach's Cello Suite, and it was magnificently played. I bought his Bach CD afterwards. I listened to it this morning, and it was different compared with other recordings that I have (Ma, Rostropovich, Maisky (both old and new recordings), Starker). It is wonderful to find something new in such a familiar work.

I only stayed for the first half of the concert, as Dvorak Sym No 7 was not my cup of tea. The concert hall was 80% full last night. Not bad for HK Sinfonietta.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dennis said...

Dvo??k isn't my cup of tea as well and it's really, really quite boring. I soon forget what I've repeatedly listened after the concert... and many people left after the concerto.

Though it was quite a wonderfully rendered one.

Sunday, September 10, 2006 1:26:00 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

Dennis,

I notice you also bought the Mahler 8 conducted by Wit. What do you think of it?

Sunday, September 10, 2006 11:30:00 AM  
Blogger Dennis said...

Talking about Wit's M8: quite an immense flood of sound and energized. I do like to compare it with the speed of Bernstein, but Bernstein is much more activated. Though Wit's performing force is a confident one.

Sunday, September 10, 2006 9:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home