Monday, June 13, 2005

Elgar Cello Concerto

I attended a concert by HKPO. Basically I was aiming at the second half, where the Elgar Cello Concerto was played by Truls M?rk, a Norwegian Cellist. He played Bach's unaccompanied Cello Suite No.3 in the first half of the concert. He gave us an encore after finishing the Elgar. I don't really know the piece, but it was good. His cello sounded different in the encore. His Elgar wasn't bad, but it was not passionate enough for me. Perhaps I was affected by Jacqueline Du Pre's version, which is still the best.

I also quite like Villa-Lobos - Bachianas brasileiras No.5 in the first half. Eight cellos were accompanying a soprano in this piece - which is quite rarely heard in concerts in HK.

I have also bought the tickets for the Mahler No.5 in July. Looking forward to it.

2 Comments:

Blogger yuen luk luk said...

I like Villa-Lobos - Bachianas brasileiras as well, the cello music.

The encore part was always in my mind!

Monday, June 13, 2005 8:21:00 PM  
Blogger 史路比 said...

yes, the encore part he played was very impressive, beautiful in tone colour... in general, he plays the music very carefully, but how come make it that different?

Monday, June 13, 2005 9:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home